School Bus Safety
The school bus is a very safe way for your children to get to and from school. In fact, school buses may be the safest vehicle on the road. Very few deaths and injuries to children involve a school bus.
Most mishaps take place outside the bus, so here are some precautions you and your children can take if they ride the bus to school.
• Don’t let your children arrive at the bus stop too early. They may be tempted to get into mischief while waiting for the bus.
• Make sure your children know what to do if they miss the bus; come back home; or if at school, report to a teacher – and never accept a ride from a stranger.
• If the stop is a long way from home, plan and talk with your child where they can go in an emergency.
• Make sure they wait well away from the road way, and stay well back until the bus comes to a full stop and the door opens.
• Set a rule that there is no running, pushing or horseplay while waiting, getting on or getting off the bus.
• Tell your children to come straight home from the bus – no detours.